Life of Pi by Yann Martel


I first read this book four years ago. Then it struck me as an instant classic—one of those books that connect us to our essential selves, our humanness. It plucks ideas out of our souls and puts them on paper for us to ponder and discuss. This particular classic is especially artful in that a broad range of readers can enjoy the allegory at many levels of interpretation and be satisfied with it as a gripping story as well. My favorite thing about it is it takes us back to childhood adventurous tales and fables. The author’s choice of descriptive words captivates attention, making us feel like we are in the setting of the story. The author also developed the story in such a way that made it believable yet leaves us wondering about everything we have just read in the end. It was so much more than a story of survival and nature. I have read and listened to the story a number of times over the years and I find Martel's fantastic imagination and level of detail astonishing each time. I highly recommend this book! 10/10.

Comments